Friday, May 23, 2008

Perspective revisited

There are times when I feel that life is passing me by. And definitely times when I'm okay with that. But I see my patients whose lives really are in a holding pattern while they're incarcerated. Some have been in prison for 20 or even 30 years. They've never used a cordless or cell phone, never used a personal computer, or driven cars with all the fancy gadgets they now come with. Never had the fast food so many of us take for granted. Commercials on TV are the only link they have to the outside world - what's called the "free world" in prison. Some havenot held their loved ones in years, have missed their parents' last days on this planet (and their funerals), missed an opportunity for a career, and missed saving for retirement. They've not seen their children grow up or grandchildren be born. When they finally leave prison, the ones who WILL leave, of course, they'll start over from scratch. They'll be labeled an ex-con. With felonies, they'll never vote again, never be able to rent an apartment, may have great difficulties getting jobs or buying cars, and may find their entire families have died or moved away.

It's challenging for me to be their therapist. I can't really wrap my mind around how challenging it is to be in their shoes.

When all is said and done, no matter how hard I've worked, how many people I've made time to see or listen to or counsel, no matter how many lunches I've missed or stairs I've climbed - I go home every day. Home to my own car, my own apartment. I wear clothes I've chosen. I hold my baby. I shop for, cook, and eat food that I've chosen. I watch the TV channels I want to watch. I sleep in my own soft bed. I know I'm safe while I sleep.

I think that having led the life I have, I've always been grateful for my many blessings. These days, I feel my gratitude run so much deeper.

3 comments:

cjm said...

Wow. It's amazing to think about everything these people have missed. And sad. Great post.

Anonymous said...

that was a great post! i wish there was a way for people about to commit crimes, to have a sudden vision of what prison is like, and what life is like after prison.

cph

Cheryl said...

You know, cph, it would nice if it could be so easy. Most of the people I talk to either commit crimes on impulse or have been living the criminal lifestyle so long they don't even think about it.