Sunday, February 10, 2008

I'm back

I noticed when I logged on that it's been almost a year since my last post. Unbelievable. Of course, the last year has been unbelievable in many ways. My friend Candice is fond of lists so perhaps that's how I can summarize and get back in the stream.

First, the Bad Stuff...

1. Losing Rachel - my lovely daughter died suddenly 5 months ago. My world ended and like so many others who have survived the death of a loved one, it was unbelievable that the world continued to exist. Other people laughed. I was expected to eat, sleep, work, and care for the little ones. I miss Rachel more than words can express. Nothing more on that now. Maybe later. Maybe never.

2. My work life was almost unbearable there for a while. Not the work itself but the supervisor I was dealing with. I had to file a formal complaint and go through all of that process. He has apologized now and there's some comfort in that. Still. He made my life (more) miserable.

3. My health. My back is deteriorating but the pain gets stronger. Weird, huh?

4. I had to put my dog, Chance, to sleep last May. I had him for about 12 years and so of course, I still miss him. I guess I always will.

5. Luke had health problems. He was sick almost all the time. Taking off work, doctor visits, trying everything to get him better. Found out he had allergies so I guess we can put this into the good list -- he's been much healthier since he's been on the Claritin and inhaled steroids.

6. Since the last posting, my other daughter has got clean, relapsed, and then got clean again. Attempted suicide. She's alive and getting healthy. Again, with moving to the good list stuff. That or I'm just an eternal optimist.

Let's go on the good stuff.

1. I moved into an apartment that I love in Friendswood.

2. I still love my work. Yes, I'm still at the prison. I'm facilitating several group therapy topics. Great to see a few folks actually learn stuff.

3. Luke is developing so well. I had concerns about him and know he's not out of the woods yet. There are still some things he has trouble with but overall, he's a dynamite kid!

4. I'm getting to adopt Luke!

5. I get to have my two "big kid" grandchildren almost every weekend.

6. I haven't had to use my cane in months!

7. I have good work friends.

8. I still have good friends from other areas in my life. This is a big GOOD one.

9. I'm taking the exam for my LPC soon.

10. The sun is shining today. We're going out to play now.

So, if anyone still checks in here or will again, just know that I appreciate all of you. Writing about anything was tough for a while. But I'm getting stronger and healing. Okay, wait a minute. What does healing mean? Not hurting so much? Not hurting so often? Finding happy moments again? Yes, maybe that's it. In that case, I'm on my way. I still miss you, though honey. Always will. Until I see you again. I'll always be your mom. Unless, of course, you want to be the mom next time around. Whatever.

4 comments:

cjm said...

She was a good mom. I think the role reversal would be a pretty sweet deal. Glad you're back (in more ways than one).

The Muse's Oracle said...

So glad you are able to blog again! Hope that things continue to improve for Luke and your healing on all levels. Luke is an angel with so much to give the world, and to you. Hope that I have been able to help you heal at a pace that you can handle. Soon you will be Luke's Mommy legally and we will celebrate!

Marcia

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back, Hope things are coninuing to get better

The Brother (of CJH)

Christy said...

So glad to read your blog again! You are so awesome.