Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Gratitude

After a really great discussion group at church on Sunday, I decided to start a gratitude journal. Again. Anyway, the idea is to write down 5 new things to be grateful for each day.

One of the first things on my list is my church. Notice how we say, "my" church? Why is it that we take ownership like that? Anyway, I am proud to be a member. A tiny little thing, we don't even have our own building, we just rent space from a community center. But I think it just makes us realize even more that our "church" is just us. Whoever we happen to be that Sunday.

And I'm grateful for friends. I miss some friends I haven't connected with in a while. I can only hope that improves soon. I believe, though, that true friendships can weather minor separations. And I am grateful for the friends I have through my women's group. Come on, is there any more solidarity than having a bunch of women friends who share the same spiritual beliefs you do? They're the best.

So, back to the gratitudes. I've learned there's an even bigger way to do this. We can start by blessing all situations in our life, then expressing gratitude, then love. That's really easy for the situations that appear to be good, but I can see where I'll really grow spiritually when I learn to bless the situations that appear to, well, not be so good.

3 comments:

StaceyG said...

I think that is GREAT advice. I have recently started a gratitude journal, and there are some days when it can be challenging to find 5 new things to be grateful for. But it sure can turn my mood around after I do it!!

Cheryl said...

It's nice to know I'm in good company. One more thing to be thankful for!

cjm said...

Yeah, I kept them prior to Oprah and whichever guest Oprah had talking about gratitude journals. You know, the one who made a mint by stamping "gratitude" on a journal. I haven't done it in awhile, though.