Thursday, November 30, 2006

being a psychotherapist again

So I've been thinking. Next week I go back to being a psychotherapist when I start my job at the prison. The thing is, just because you're not practicing, does that mean you ever really stop being a therapist? Is it like riding a bike? Can I just jump back in and expect those skills to still be there?

I imagine that being in prison during the holidays really sucks. I don't normally use that word but just can't think of anything that fits better right now. So if you're in prison and you need a therapist, how will it be to get someone who hasn't practiced in almost 4 years? Maybe refreshing. Maybe it will just suck even more.

2 comments:

StaceyG said...

It is like riding a bike. Plus, have you really ever STOPPED being a therapist - even if your "clients" have been friends, family, etc?

cjm said...

Yeah, I'm with everyone else. You never really stop. And you got da skilz, lady...